Monday, 3 September 2012

Long overdue update!

So when I first found out that I got this job I e-mailed one of the interns that was working at my school and asked them a few questions. I remember her saying that normally she didn't get home until 630 at night and was so exhausted she didn't even feel like opening her computer. And I now know first hand what she was talking about! I blame my lack of blogging on how busy the last few weeks have been, not to mention trying to get over a horrible cold... but I took the whole weekend to catch up on sleep and I feel much more energized today. I literally think I was asleep more the last 3 days than I was awake!

Backtracking a few weeks, we had a long weekend in August and found some super cheap train tickets to Amsterdam. Seven of us made the trip there and had a really amazing weekend. We rented bikes and biked out into the countryside to see the windmills there and did lots of other fun, touristy stuff ha ha.

The hostel we stayed in...weirdest wallpaper :S
Hallway in our hostel
 

School started last week and it has been super busy ever since. They are amazing kids, and so full of energy, I feel like I am running the whole day. It has been a really eye-opening experience teaching at an International school. My school really focuses on teaching material that is relevant and applicable to the children, and they strive to make their students respectful, responsible, and caring people. We are constantly having our students think about their own behaviours and asking themselves if it's "fair, safe, kind, and respectful". There is also a lot of co-planning and teaching throughout the divisions, and an emphasis on consistency from one grade to the next.



Oh and I got a bike!! I found it on a kijiji-ish website (which is all in French...google translate is my best friend these days). It belonged to the sweetest couple who live an hour from Brussels but they were able to drive the bike into town for me. Biking out of the city was an absolute NIGHTMARE though haha never ever again! Where I live is outside of the city center and there are tons of bike paths which is nice, but that wasn't the case in the city center so anyone watching me attempt to make it out of there probably had a good laugh.


It's only 8pm here but I am already ready for bed...today was my class's first full day of Kindergarten and I think they will sleep just as well as I will tonight.

Missing and thinking of everyone from Canada!



From Brussels with love ♥

Carpet of Flowers in Grand Place













No comments:

Post a Comment