I am probably the world's worst blogger (haha do you agree Mark??). So I thought it was time to finally scratch "update blog" off of my to-do list. I have had an amazing past couple of months, I am settling in so well here and I can't believe how fast time is going.
So here is what I have been up to for the past few months:
In September over 2000 people came out for Brussels Yoga Sunday in the park. It was given in French but we stayed towards to back so we could follow along.
My roommate and I go on lots of bike rides through the trails that span across Brussels. The trails are so beautiful and there are often people horseback riding along them.
 |
| Waffle heaven in the town center |
 |
| First real, authentic Belgian waffle...amazingggg |
Brussels has an annual "Car Free Sunday" in September, and from 9am to 7pm cars are not allowed on the streets so there were hundreds of people biking/roller blading/walking etc. It was such a nice day, I biked all around the city all day. It was really nice to see how many people were out with their families and friends taking advantage of the car-free streets. Public transportation still runs as a way of showing how accessible the city is without a car. Such a good idea - can you imagine this working in North America...?
"Eat Brussels" food festival fell on Car Free Sunday so we biked there for lunch. Hundreds of local restaurants and bars had booths set up (this was in the same park that the Yoga in the Park was held...not on the same weekend of course ha ha).
 |
| Taxis and emergency vehicles were the only cars allowed on the streets. |
 |
| Add caption |
We took a day trip to Luxembourg in order to keep with our goal of visiting one new country every month. We took a train there and hiked for over 3 hours in the Mullerthal region, which is also known as Luxembourg's little Switzerland.
 |
| We love going to the train station so we can get our Starbucks fix :) |
 |
| Outdoor theater |
We hosted a (vegetarian) Canadian Thanksgiving potluck dinner at our place because we were feeling a bit homesick.
And a few other random pictures I found on my phone:
 |
| The Belgian palace |
 |
| The lake beside our house has swans in it!! |
 |
| An American style coffee shop in the center of Brussels |
 |
| Our new favourite brunch spot - American bagels, salad and chai lattes... soo good! |
As for work - the children are finally starting to settle into a routine which is so nice to see. I can't believe how many of the children that came in with absolutely no English are already picking up so much of it. We just started our fall break and I have taken the entire first weekend to rest up because tomorrow we are leaving for Barcelona for 5 days! Looking forward to sunny, warm weather and discovering a new country!
Happy Halloween to all of my Canadian friends/family (apparently they don't celebrate Halloween here..??)
From Brussels with love
♥
No comments:
Post a Comment