Saturday, 4 August 2012

Sightseeing in Brussels and Antwerp

Finally (!!!!!) my jetlag is starting to settle and I am becoming accustomed to the time difference. And with work starting on Monday I couldn't be happier about that. It also means that I have had some energy to branch out of Auderghem, which is the name of the area of Brussels that we live, into the middle of the city (aka the Grand Place). Sara and I made our way into town on Friday and did some sightseeing. The pictures cannot even begin to do this city justice....





















I was fortunate enough to be put into contact with a couple who used to live in my hometown but are now living close by in Brussels. These are two of the most amazing, caring, helpful, genuine people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I really cannot say enough good things about them. Today they took Sara and I into Antwerp which is about 40 minutes north of Brussels. Once again, I was absolutely blown away with how beautiful the city is.












There are so many events coming up in Belgium that I can't wait to experience... beer festivals, food festivals, and a flower carpet that covers the entire Grand Place in Brussels! I love it here!

Side note: A couple things I have noticed since moving here:
        1) women here do not wear shorts....regardless of the weather
        2) men peeing in public is completely acceptable, if not encouraged (there are public urinals in the streets)
       3) the light switches are opposite from Canada which may not sound like a big deal but drove me crazy for the first couple days!
       4) the weather is completely sporadic (not that anyone trusts the weather network anyways...) each day has had some combination of heat, rain, sun, and clouds

Tomorrow we have plans to rent Villo bikes (just like the Bixi bikes in Canada) and meet some more teachers from the school. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by saying my jetlag is gone!!


From Brussels with love ♥
      

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! That looks fantastic. You are so lucky. Wanna know what I did today? Got woken up by a punch in the stomach from Erika demanding breakfast and then helped a friend move. Hahaha.... I'm glad you're enjoying this new life!!!!!

    Love you!!!!!

    Mark & Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. in the 28th pic... Are the people playing Bingo?

    ReplyDelete